Wednesday, January 16, 2013

This can end...NOW!

Our 2013 started out okay, much better than 2012.
Around this time last year, my little Sofia was fighting RSV.  She spent 2 nights in the hospital and her wheezing lasted all winter long.   You can read a post from last January here.

Two weekends ago, we made the switch to big kid car seats.  No more infant carriers.  We even did forward facing. We went back and forth on this, but the kiddos' legs were a bit squished.
Big kid car seats...a milestone!

 Boys in the front!

 Girls in the back!




  Good thing.  I had the great idea of trying them out prior to me being solo during the week to make sure the straps were on correctly, etc...So we ventured out on Sunday afternoon and not too long after leaving our house, I looked back, and Marcos was quietly throwing up while the car was moving (and all over the new car seat cover!)  Since his seat was facing forward, I was able to get back there quicker.  We thought perhaps he got car sick.  So we cleaned him up as well as the car, and continued with our outing.

Yes, we are brave.

We walked around downtown and decided to try out a sit down restaurant. It was late afternoon, after the lunch rush but before dinner time. We have gone out to eat before but they were much younger and could stay in the car seat/ having all 3 of them sit in a high chair was another milestone. We ate fast and managed to get out fairly quick. As soon as we got back in the car again... Marcos does it again. Coincidence.... Not! We managed to get home, Dad hung out with Marcos while I did the night routine with the other 2.  My sweet boy threw up who knows how many times. He was completely wiped out and managed to only wake once that night.

This picture was taken after his first episode, notice his shirt is missing? Not sure how my lil guy was still smiling.

Then that Tuesday night right before bed time...Sofia coughs, then throws up.  She does this now and again, if she coughs right after taking a bottle.  I nervously put her to bed not knowing if she caught the bug Marcos had or what.  Sure enough, about 20 minutes later she was still awake screaming and crying. Good thing we went in her room right away.  My Sofie was covered in throw up and so was her crib.

We took her out of the room and held her for a few hours.  The throwing up went on for about 5 hours.  She had nothing left so she dry heaved A LOT!  Sofia was still doing this when we hear screams from their room again.  Good thing I didn't give them the 5 minutes to settle.  I rushed in there to find little Carlos covered in throw up.  My poor babies! I think Carlos was up from midnight to about 5am.  At one point, both of them did it at the same time.  Thank God this happened at night because what would I have done alone?  Daddy was a true rock star, especially because I couldn't tell if the nauseousness I felt was from the awful smell or if I was also getting sick.  When the chills started I knew it was my turn.

We got very little sleep that night, if any at all.  Before we knew it the sun was coming out and it was time to rush Isabella to school.  Can anyone say late pass?!

This sickness caused the trio to miss a dentist appointment and our high risk follow up appointment, which I was very sad to miss. The trio was left with very little appetite and lots of diarrhea, but really we are lucky the vomiting only lasted one night because once I began to feel better it was daddy's turn to get sick.  At least we take turns, right?

So Isabella was the only lucky one to not get it.  I thought we were in the clear...and Sunday she began getting a sore throat.  The babies had their 4th Synagis shot of the season yesterday so since we were already  going to the doctors, I had her checked out as forward to today....

Strep throat!!! She's been home all week and I've managed to go up and down the stairs numerous times taking turns between the four.  I miss my helper!! and she misses her babies.  She's been quarantined to her room, and I really HATE winter.

Praying no one else gets sick cuz I'm feeling like I can't handle so much sickness especially back to back.  And my mind automatically sees it hitting their preemie lungs, chronic coughing all night and nebulizer treatments, talk about anxiety! Now we know why this post took over a week! And why our house still has some Christmas decorations up.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Angie. This too shall pass. Those poor babies. I can't even imagine dealing with all of that. I think I have said it before, having 1 sick baby or toddler is hard enough. I don't know how you do it times 3! And I am so very impressed that you made it out to eat. You are brave! They look so cute (and big!) in their new car seats.