Monday, June 18, 2012

A very belated Birthday Post

Finally...The babies turned one on May 17, 2012.  It's already been a month! I will admit that I went back and forth on my decision to have a party for them.  It was a tough thing to decide.  I was really scared of all the emotions that come along with the first birthday.  Reality is the day they were born (at 25 weeks) was not exactly a joyous day.  It was terrifying to say the least.  Luckily I had started skimming the big preemie book.  I knew our odds but here we are, a year later.  I am so happy that we did.  I've come to accept everything we have been through with them and their birthday party turned out to be quite a celebration!  We had a few friends, a few kiddos and their teams of nurses were for sure represented.  

The party was planned for 11:30am and it worked out perfectly.  The babies napped from 9 to almost 11 that morning.  Here is Marcos.  Breathing treatments just part of the daily routine.


Sofia ready for the party and playing with Nurse Monica.


Carlos hanging out with Nurse Jacqui.


One worry about every party is being able to keep kids (and adults) entertained.  I knew I had no energy to do any games so after some brainstorming and a few calls I found someone who teaches drumming classes for kids.  And what do you know... she does birthday parties as well.   She was a hit and the our whole family enjoyed it.  The babies had a blast! 
A few of my favorites...










Soon after our drumming session, the boys had their lunch....
Sofia did not miss it. A month ago, she was just fine with her bottles. 

Almost nap time...I swear sometimes these babies are my clock.

We hurried and sang Happy Birthday!


The boys went for the cake.  Sofia does not like to get dirty! Oh the little princess!


Right before nap time...


I had to bring out their very special name tags from the hospital.  
They went perfectly with our ZOO theme!
Thank you Nurse Isabel, we will keep them forever!

After everyone left, my friend whom I met in the NICU, stayed and visited.  It was so nice.  Look at these precious babies.  Josie is a 26 weeker and doing exceptionally well!



As for their progress, the babies are now 13 months.  We finally have 3 sitters. Carlitos was the last one to do it and we are so happy he reached this milestone. I am feeling like the babies are much happier sitting up. They had a big developmental assessment at the end of May and case workers, home visitors, and our physical therapist are all very pleased with where they are at. Sofia is very close to crawling!! And she gets into everything!  Marcos has one HUGE tooth on top.  And the bottom ones are coming in.  Everyone is teething.  This often messes with our nap schedule.  As far as foods, all three are eating well 3 x a day,s till taking 3-4 bottles, most nights they sleep 6:45pm to about 6am, and they are all working on their pincer grasp.  They love puff, yogurt melts and mum mums.  Today they tried shredded cheese and like it. All very exciting.

Their doctor is also happy with their weight gain.  For their one year check up on May 24, their weights were:
Carlos 15.11
Marcos 17.6
Sofia  15.8

Now that this is done! I hope to get back to blogging a bit more.  Wish me luck!
Mommy and Me Monday at Really, Are You Serious?
Hosted by Krystyn at Really, Are You Serious?

2 comments:

  1. Angie - I love reading your posts! They always bring a smile to my face. The photos with the drums are priceless. And I LOVE seeing Josie with the triplets. I am so glad you are continuing your blog. I'm due for a post soon. And by the way, you look beautiful in the photos. How did you manage that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you decided to have a party..I can't imagine the emotions!

    What a great idea to have the drummer (although, I'm not sure your ears thank you).

    They are growing up and getting so big. Our 5 year old was full term and only weighed 19lbs at a year:) On the flip side, our 4 month old is almost 14 pounds:)

    ReplyDelete