Thursday, May 3, 2012

Marcos's Hearing

Since the babies are turning one this month, there are many appointments to take them to.
Last week, Marcos went to see an audiologist for his fourth, maybe fifth hearing test.
It didn't go as I had hoped.
He still has fluid in his ears, now they are saying in both ears. 
Marcos's right ear failed his newborn hearing screening back in August 2011.
It's now May and the problem has not resolved itself.  Back in the Fall,  he also had an ABR (Auditory Brainstem Response) test done which measures the hearing nerve's responses to sounds.   Luckily it did not show permanent hearing loss.  He has temporary hearing loss that will eventually resolve itself.  They've been talking about tubes since day one but for some reason doctors wanted to give him more time.  Feeling kinda bummed but only because as I was leaving the appointment.  I innocently asked, "...but he can hear me, right?" And the answer was..."not really.  He hears something but it sounds more like noise to him."  I didn't let it get to me that day but it's been on the back of my mind.  She suggested we talk a little bit louder to him and make sure he has good eye contact when we are talking to him.   Now that his first birthday is around the corner, we are being sent to the ENT doctor once again. He will make the call. It's really so hard to believe that he can't hear us that well.  The audiologist noticed that he is very visual, and that sometimes that makes up for it. Our pediatrician is having me pay close attention to the sounds he is making because now they are worried about language and speech development. I don't know if this happens to other moms of multiples, but its so hard for me to remember who is doing what unless it's really obvious. We are hearing a lot of ...da da da and ah ah ah and some g sounds and paying close attention.

Praying this resolves itself soon so we can avoid tubes, a pretty common procedure but I wouldn't mind skipping it.



1 comment:

  1. I will be praying for your little man! I hope he doesn't have to have the tubes too. If he does, at least it is a very simple procedure. He is such a cute little chubby guy!! Keep your head up, you are doing a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete